Harmony OS: Huawei’s OS that’s winning the market (features and critics)
HongMeng OS as the Harmony OS is also known as is Huawei’s multi-kernel operating system launched on the 9th day of August 2019 and the first to run the Honor smart TV. Harmony OS (operating system) currently runs a good number of smartphones as we will still address in this article. Smartphones and IoT devices that use Harmony OS are run by the LiteOS, while its smartphones and tablets use a Linux kernel and android as open-source to run Android apps added to the Harmony OS apps.
Some Features of Harmony OS
Features of Harmony OS
If you have used the Huawei User Interface known as EMUI, you then will not find it difficult to understand the features of Harmony OS, because, in practical use, the Harmony OS really shares a lot of similarities with Huawei’s EMUI Android skin. They both have the same design language, icon, Android notification system, and color scheme.
Apart from the EMUI, the Harmony OS also has a decent amount of features of the iOS/iPad.
On Gesture, a swipe from the left-hand side of the screen will bring down the notification bar. Harmony OS comes with an improved control center that can be accessed by swiping to the right-hand side of the screen.
Harmony OS has a better file arrangement system than the EMUI, it comes with an option of dividing files into larger formats, and once you add up to two similar apps into a folder, the OS will automatically with your permission add more like-apps to that folder.
Huawei had tremendous improvement here that is worthy of the accolade. With this improved connectivity, compatible wearable and wireless devices and accessories of Huawei can now harmoniously pair when you activate that function. File sharing across devices running on Harmony OS has become easier and faster too, now you even have an option of dragging files into apps if you want to use them directly there, for instance moving an image from phone directly into a word document, and being able to access the phone hard drive when searching for an attachment to send as email.
Another amazing connectivity feature is the ability to drag and drop the icons of your devices together. This means that once your TV is connected, your phone will display on your smart Television screen.
A ‘Super Device’ widget allows you to drag and drop icons representing your devices together. Drag the headphone icon to the phone icon and your audio will switch over, or connect the TV and phone icons to watch a video from your phone on the smart TV screen.
With the Huawei Windows 10 laptop, you can decide to use your phone or tablet as secondary displays, simultaneously, and connected to the Windows device. This is an advancement from the ability to connect your phone to your tablet, access all your active apps on both devices interchangeably, and even move them from either phone to tablet or tablet to phone.
Apart from being able to utilize multiple apps on split-screen, the app multiplier in Huawei Harmony OS gives you an option of using multiple windows side by side in the same app. And on the estimate, nothing less than 4000 apps support this feature. Apps on the Harmony OS are installed from the Huawei AppGallery, and apps not requiring Google mobile services run effectively on it.
Below is a summary of the features of Harmony OS
- Collaborative security
- Service widget
- New Home screen
- Improved control panel
- Service Center
- Smart Folder for a better file arrangement
- Harmony OS Fonts
- Super Device
- Huawei Share for an improved share amidst Harmony enabled devices
- Task Center
- App Guard
- Better performance
Technical Pros of Harmony OS
Pros and Cons of Harmony OS
Based on the many interesting features of this operating system, many have suggested that it’s better than even the mighty Android. Worthy of note is the fact that Harmony OS makes use of the technique called the 1+X+N strategy, thereby making it different from iOS and Android. This undoubtedly adds to the uniqueness of the operating system!
Below is a summary of the likely benefits to enjoy if you use Harmony
- Harmony OS lets it users experience a smoother navigation
- Tasks done online with the Harmony OS can now be done more efficiently
- Harmonious connectivity
- Improved security/privacy
- The Harmony OS based on reports can lead to Chaotic system issues
- There could also be mal-functioning when there are too many devices connected to one another
- Also financially, users need to spend more money to get the whole benefits that come from using the operating system.
List of phones that run on the Harmony OS
Phones that run on the Harmony OS
- Huawei Mate 40 series(Mate 40, 40 pro, 40 pro+, 40 RS Porsche Design as well as Mate 40E)
- Huawei Matepad pro Wifi, as well as
- Huawei Matepad pro 5G
- Huawei Mate 30 series (Mate 30 pro 4G, Mate 30 Pro 5G, Mate 30E pro 5G, Mate 30 RS Porsche Design, Mate 30 4G, and Mate 30 5G)
- Huawei p40 series (p40, p40 4G, p40 pro, and p40 pro plus also)
- Please note that at the time of filing this report Huawei still has other phones it’s still rolling out, so more are following the aforementioned.
Harmony OS vs Calyx OS (comparison)
Harmony OS vs Calyx OS (comparison)
Harmony OS vs Calyx OS
- Harmony OS does not use Google services like, Google YouTube, Play store,, etc. and so is it with Calyx OS
- Calyx OS randomly assigns users an email, a feature not obtainable in Harmony OS.
- Calyx OS is two in its App Store, one sends you alerts of means by which an app could still your data, while the other does not allow the download of such data-stealing apps, while Harmony OS does not have such high tech security-specific apps.
- Calyx OS is definitely more Privacy centric than the Harmony OS
- Both support a limited number of devices, Harmony, for instance, supports only Huawei smartphones, while Calyx only supports Google Pixel phones with one of Xiaomi phones (click here to read the full detail of Calyx OS)
The makers of the Harmony OS have strong trust in the operating system but are yet to sign a verdict on the OS, but so far so good, Harmony OS is passing the test of time. Going by its unique features in Connectivity, Gestures, multiple tasking, etc. Harmony OS is damn good as an operating system.